Any student who is absent for whole or part of the day will need to produce the following within 5 days of their absence(s):
- Parent Note (which will be verified through our office)
- Parent email (which will be verified through our office)
- Original medical note (copies or altered notes will not be accepted)
- Faxed notes must be sent from physician’s office
- Court note
- Official note for observance of approved religious holy days
Please note - Section 25 is a temporary absence (meaning the student attended school for part of the same day they had a doctor appointment). The student must return the doctor excuse to the Attendance Office immediately upon returning to school to receive the Section 25 coding for their absence. Section 25 does not count against exam exemptions. If the doctor excuse is not received immediately, the absence will be coded as a medical note and it will count against exam exemptions.
If a student does not produce one of the items listed above within the allotted times, they will have an absence that will at that time be changed to truancy or be added to their excessive absences. After having three truancies or undocumented absences within a four-week period the student will then be reported to the District Attorney’s office.
The following is a timeline of events after being reported to the District Attorney:
- Warning Letter for 3 unexcused absences within 28 days
- Truancy charges filed against child and parent(s) after 3 more unexcused absences
- Pre-trial Diversion Agreement/Contract – 6 months
- Disposition/Sanction Order
- Juvenile probation for contempt if 16 or under/Harris County Jail if 17 or older
Please note: KISD now allows “College Visit Days” for Junior and Senior level students only. Students are allowed 2 college days per year of their junior and senior year. The student must return with an official note from the college visited. The note will allow an absence that does not
count against Denial of Credit or exam exemption.College Verification Attendance Form
Klein ISD takes attendance very seriously, and we want to see your child succeed at Klein Forest. If you have any questions, or need additional information regarding the stay in School Program, please feel free to contact the attendance office or your assistant principal.